Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Taste in Wines

I figured it'll be important to disclose what I look for in a wine in order to give the readers perspective and a reference point. After all, if you've come looking for an advice on certain wine recommended by a famous lawyer-turned wine critic or recommended by a winery advertising dollar- funded magazine, then you've come to a wrong place!

So what exactly is my palate?

While people generally classify themselves in terms of red/white wine drinker, New World/Old World connoisseur, or sweet/dry wine lover, I rarely use those criteria as I tend to drink all those styles. Instead, when selecting a bottle, there are three key criteria I focus on: compability with the food (if applicable), complexity, and balance.

Food: My diet consist of Japanese, Italian, and steaks. Yes, I am a bona-fide carnivore. Therefore, the wines I choose tend to cater to those cuisines most of the times.

Complexity: I like wide range of experience from the single bottle. Interesting aroma to build up anticipation, a palate that evolves in your mouth, and lengthy finish that leaves trails of flavors that begs you to revisit the bottle again.

Balance: Complexity is all good, as long as it is balanced. If the combination of the flavor elements are disjointed, then it is complex but would be reduced to "interesting wine" at the best. Or, if the certain component of the flavor overpowers the nuances of the wine (and yes, I am looking at you, big oak-bombs from California), then I am less enthused.

Therefore, I tend to drink a lot of the following: Medium to light- bodied whites (Alsatian whites and similar styles, German Rieslings, Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand and South Africa, Chenin Blancs from Vouvray and South Africa) or a saké for Japanese meals, Italian wines for Italian dishses, and full- bodied reds (Bordeaux, the balanced or traditional- styled California Cabernets, California Syrahs, and Rhone wines including Chateauneuf-du-Pape) for the red meat. Since I often consume red meat one night and Italian the next, I tend to drink a lot of full- bodied Italian reds. The wine I hold in the highest esteem is a well- made Amarone.

I'd like to learn more of...: Due to several factors inlcuding but not limited to: low exposure/experience, lack of funds, or lack of developed taste, I am retarded when it comes to the following wines: Burgundy (white or red), Barolos (many of them taste very similar), Gruner Veltliner, Champagne/sparkling wines, and Ports/Sherries because I've lost my sense of taste at that point of the evening. (By the way, how's that for using two colons in one sentence!) Also, please don't ask me about jug wines and boxed wines as I need to conserve my liver for causes that I consider far more noble.

Jug wines don't seem that bad when drank next to...: OK, these wines have been proven to disagree with my palate despite my efforts to love them: Muscadet, many Loire wines, 90% of Madiran, Xynomavro grape from Greece, and Georgian Semi-Sweet (apparently, "Semi" in Georgian actually mean "Extremely" in English).

I am nearly ready to go on a one-man Crusade against...: Big, oaky, and jammy Cabernets, and crappily made Amarones.

So, that's my palate for now, but it is subject to change without notice, it is not FDIC insured, and batteries are not included...

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Hear, hear, let's hear it for the balance. I, too, share your interest in wine, particularly the lighter, lower alc styles that you can eat well with.

I'd like to explore Burgundy further, too, but unless I marry rich, it seems unlikely to happen any time soon.